What is Joomla?
Joomla! is an award-winning Content Management System (CMS) used all over the world to power everything from simple, personal homepages to complex corporate web applications. Recently Joomla won the 2014 People's Choice Award for Best Open Source PHP CMS.
Now at Version 3, Joomla is a mature CMS backed by a strong and dedicated community. Recognised as the second most popular CMS in the world and powering the web for home businesses through to large government agencies, blogs to ecommerce and everything in between.
- Joomla has been downloaded over 50,000,000 times. [source]
- 3.1% of the web runs on Joomla CMS .[source]
- The Joomla codebase contains 477,371 lines of PHP code and 200,000 comment lines. [source]
- The combined contribution effort to Joomla adds up to about 127 human years. [source]
- At a development cost of $55,000 p/a (average US salary) Joomla would cost $6,960,988. [source]
Uses for Joomla
- Corporate websites or portals
- Online commerce
- Small business websites
- Non-profit and organizational websites
- Government applications
- Corporate intranets and extranets
- School and church websites
- Personal or family homepages
- Community-based portals
- Magazines and newspapers
- the possibilities are limitless…
Joomla! can be used to easily manage every aspect of your website, from adding content and images to updating a product catalog or taking online reservations.
Once Joomla! is installed and running, it is simple for even non-technical users to add or edit content, update images, and to manage the critical data that makes your company or organization go. Anybody with basic word processing skills can easily learn to manage a Joomla! site.
Via a simple, browser-based interface you will be able to easily add new press releases or news items, manage staff pages, job listings, product images, and create an unlimited amount of sections or content pages on your site. You can try our simple demo to get quick taste of what Joomla! is all about.
Out of the box, Joomla! does a great job of managing the content needed to make your website sing. But for many people, the true power of Joomla! lies in the application framework that makes it possible for developers to create powerful add-ons and extensions. Here are just some examples of the hundreds of available extensions:
- Dynamic form builders
- Business or organizational directories
- Document management
- image and multimedia galleries
- E-commerce and shopping cart engines
- Forums and chat software
- Blogging software
- Directory services
- Email newsletters
- Data collection and reporting tools
- Banner advertising systems
- Subscription services
- and many, many more…
Many companies or organizations have requirements that go beyond what is available in the basic Joomla! package or in a freely available extension.
Thankfully, Joomla! offers a powerful application framework that makes it easy for us to create sophisticated add-ons that extend the power of Joomla! into virtually unlimited directions.
Using the core framework, we can easily build:
- Integrated e-commerce systems
- Inventory control systems
- Data reporting tools
- Custom product catalogs
- Complex business directories
- Reservation systems
- Communication tools
- Application bridges
- or any kind of application to suit a unique need…
About John Pitchers